Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Stopping to Evaluate

It has been quite some time since I have had a malady concerning my physical activity. It is somewhat understandable that an issue comes up occasionally as I am very prone to working out every day, most days I do at least 2 disciplines either walking, riding, rowing, and/or swimming.

I noticed that there is an irritation in my left clavicle, yeah swimmers shoulder or something like that. Exactly like righty, but not as dramatic. This has caused concern. I noticed, appropriately enough, when I swam at Ridgeway on Sunday morning. It was cold!! 76F, maybe. The sun was shining, the sky was clear, there was no wind, and it was 'refreshing'. That is when I first had a concern.
I swam 2500 yards.

1. Did the colder water contribute in any way to the issue?
2. Is it possible that I may have an overuse issue from the sanding, scraping and painting?

I became more concerned yesterday when I visited the Y in the morning. I sat down at the erg, proceeded to warm up and I thought I was on my way because I have had no issues with either shoulder while rowing. I was trying to settle into a good pull but was slowing down. There was an issue, and it was not weakness from illness the day previous. The slowing was because the left shoulder was irritated. This was a good time to stop. 3800 meters. Start on #1 for 15 minutes, then switched to #2 for about 5 more minutes before departing to the pool for further evaluation. After warm up swimming, there was still an issue. Done for the day at that point. In addition to resting the affected shoulder, I have started a regimen of Celebrex, 100mg twice a day for reducing any inflammation and pain.

No comments: