Sunday, January 30, 2011

Swimming and Rowing Indoors

The Sonoma County Family YMCA is a nice community center featuring activities for all ages. Their aquatics programs, along with the many fitness classes and activities make the Y a very nice experience. A common complaint among more skilled swimmers is that the water temperature is a bit warm. This is true and there are several reasons that many aquatics facilities do keep the water warmer. The warmer water temperature allows bathers to stay active in the water for a longer time. There are various physiological reasons besides. I know that if a skilled swimmer is not acclimated to the conditions present, whether it be colder or warmer, turbulent or murky, problems may occur.

I am extremely happy that USMS and PMS have scheduled a conference on the pressing issue of safety in the open water arena. There appears to be quite a line up of speakers and I will be in attendance. Mark your calendar, March 18-20 in San Francisco.

The indoor regatta, also known as the Golden State Indoor Rowing Championships, is next Saturday, February 5. I am excited as this will be the first competition outside of Masters swim meets in almost 20 years. I think I did my final triathlon, the Santa Cruz Sentinel Triathlon, in 1992. Finished my triathlon career on a high note. I went under 2:20, like 2:16, just missing the hour mark on the bike leg be 3 minutes. Like 20 minutes for the swim, 1 hour 3 minutes on the bike and 42 minutes for the run. I like to see that in print. Like 3:02.26, my best marathon.

I am thinking of the next swim. It will be in SPMA territory.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You share here a great information, really it will more helpful for every swimmer. Thanks lot for this...
betsey johnson bathing suits