Friday, August 24, 2012

OCEAN SWIM TOMORROW

The idea of swimming in the ocean is intimidating at times.  Many cultures learn to accept the ocean and the aquatic environment but the majority of humans never set foot in it, and certainly have not intention, reason or desire to swim in it.  It is a challenging experience. 

Saturday and Sunday last week I attempted to bodysurf the great break at Oceanside during the preliminary round of the World Bodysurfing Championships.  I did not make it to the second round, but it was a great learning experience and I made some new friends.  Mark Cunningham, the champion, was in my heat.  He is awesome!  I watched the final championship round and there were others that were as awesome.  I am a bit behind the curve, but I will get it. 

Monday I went to RoseBowl workout. 

Tuesday I swam 1000 meters at RoiseBowl, then went to Manhattan Beach and swam a lap.

Wednesday was at RoseBowl and I lost my fins!  It sucks.

I was sick on Thursday. I went to Manhattan Beach and rode 10 miles on the bikeway but I could not swim and I cancelled the rest of the day.

Today is Friday, August 24.
RoseBowl workout
600 swim
Butterfly training consisting of instruction about contracting/lifting shoulders/scapula, ie pinching the shoulder blades together, and a straight elbow recovery.  Straight elbow recovery assists in forward motion during recovery phase.   Thumbs drag on surface as does the chin when breathing.
We even got to use the therapy pool for beginner drills.!

No comments: