Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bad Idea

Yesterday I was preparing to do the 1 hour postal swim. Everything was okay until I drank the dextrose/creatine energy drink. I was so good until I made that mistake. The bolus of creatine and dextrose sapped all the water from my system, pumping up my muscles and led to severe cramping of my lower extremities. I knew I was in trouble when I started feeling slight cramps in my thighs less than 15 minutes into the 1 hour swim. my 1000 split was 14:40, I was going slow to see if I could swim through the mild cramping. I swam through 30 minutes and then began to stop at the walls to stretch and relax my cramps. I felt better for about another 500 yards or so and then the cramps were so bad that I had to stop. Lesson learned; no heavy sugar/creatine directly before swimming. I think I have one more chance on Friday. Joe said he will be up to timing once again.
I completed 2700 yards and most of them were a struggle due to the self inflicted cramping effect.
I warmed up about 200 for a meager total of 2900.

I woke at 0420, and arrived in the PHS pool at 0515. I swam 500 before the workout started.
6x100kicking w/o fins
6x1min vertical kicking, streamline 30sec between
75easy
6x50drill/swim
100easy
18x100,best interval,6x3-100 with 20/10/5seconds between(completed12)
Kicking comsumes time
2800yards+6minutes vertical kicking
I need to get to PHS @0500 on work days.
I did dryland training at fire station in AM. Weights routine. Increased weight on reps10-15/with dumbbells

No comments: