Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Swim for the Roses

I am supposed to be really putting my shoulder to the test this week and it is holding up extremely well. I have been having some thoughts about the situation and it concerns the cortisone injection that I received in late May. Is that what is keeping me out of pain now that I am able to do most everything normally, considering that I have backed off the heavy training and have not had any gross setbacks? I do remember the cortisone injections that I received over the several years of marathon training. I would be fine and able to run pain free for several weeks, even months, after each injection, even though the pain and swelling would come back eventually. Is this what is happening? I understand that the SLAP tear does not repair itself, although Dr. Schmidt says the MRI is usually inconclusive, so possibly I do not have a torn labrum? I feel a slight twinge in the mid bicep region under competitive strain, and I do feel that if I go hard with the 'hammerheads' that I am on the edge of blowing out the shoulder again. Many questions still need to be answered. What are the liability factors involved with a situation like this, when it has been determined by worker compensation that surgery is indicated, but the patient is feeling healthy now , perhaps because of the recent cortisone injection. Will the patient get injured again?
I swam at Finley, I tried to swim hard.
700 choice
800 kick on back with fins
10x100 free, ez/hard, descending to 1:12
100 ez
8x25fly/25free 60 sec, 18-16 fly laps, work on timing and wider hand placement
3000 yards

No comments: