Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bike/Swim/Bike, The Finley Route

I used to do it every morning, I would get on my bike and ride to Finley Swim Center. It is a 2.5 mile distance. I did it this morning so I could catch up on some outdoor swimming. I need a change of venue once in a while. As I used to have 5 pools to choose from at this time of the season, I used to change venues often. I have been very limited to pool choices as I no longer commute to San Rafael. I miss swimming at Terra Linda Recreation Center, next to SRFD Station 6, and I no longer go south to Petaluma Swim Center as it is about a $12 trip. No JCC either. Ridgeway does not like me very much. It is so easy to call the SCFYMCA my home pool these days, and it makes sense too, economics and the Concept2 rower(s).

Indoor rowing is the latest fitness discipline that is gaining in popularity. It is by far the best form of full body workout, far superior to any of the triathlon disciplines, i.e. swimming, running and bicycling, and it makes all the other machines and apparatus and weights in the gym look like toys. The act of rowing builds not only strength, endurance, and power. It builds coordination of the nervous system that affect the overall synchronization of the muscles. This training gives the athlete the ability to move with great agility and smoothness.

So I rode to the pool, and I swam
2650 yards, just swim
I should have did a set or 2, but I did't.

Maybe take a look at long course this summer. I would like to go to Santa Cruz. I could swim 50/100/200/400/800/and1500. Six events. 55 turns. Open/flip? Hmm.

No comments: