Tuesday, September 4, 2012

83RD OCEANSIDE PIER SWIM

This swim has the distinction of being one year older than the La Jolla Rough Water Swim, as Labor Day was the 83rd annual Oceanside Pier Swim.  See here for results.  It was very challenging getting out.  We were fortunate to be in the last wave of swimmers and the starter let us start much further south on the beach.  There was a very strong north current, much more so than any current at the bodysurfing event 2 weeks prior.  Many swimmers were either unaware of the strong conditions or were just overpowered by them. 
It was a battle to get out.  I did turn around, but by then I was 3/4 of the way through the break, and hey, don't do that.  Got back turned around to the first bouy, and by the time I first sighted, I was on my way.  I was not taken by the current, and I did get out of the surf. 
It was colder as the disturbance off the Baja Peninsula created some pretty swells.  There was a bit of warmer water further from shore.  I estimate it took me almost20 minutes to get out and to the first bouy, 5 minutes to the second bouy, and another 5 minutes to swim ashore.  Official time of 29:30.8.
There were some hypothermic swimmers. but it did not appear there were any swimmers in severe distress.

No comments: