Tuesday, September 11, 2012

SICK DAY (is not a reason to miss swimming), La Jolla RWS

Perhaps a mini virus.  I think I may be a bit run down, kind of tired, I have been doing a bunch of ocean swimming the past month.  It is much harder to swim in the ocean than in a swimming pool.  I competed in 3 ocean swims the past 3 weekends.  Good.  No ill effects on my post back issue(s).  I was a mess before my surgery.
Saturday I did not swim, at all.
Sunday I swam to an age group 4th place(93rd overall Men Masters) finish at the 82nd Annual La Jolla Rough Water Swim.
I really do not like big group starts, but what can I do.  I am trying to get out as quick as possible.  I took a fairly accurate course, with the current, staying on a good line to the first white bouy.  I redirected a bit to the balloons, which were beginning to float away and rounded.  I swam off direction for about 25 meters before noticing that I should be heading back to the cove, rounding another bouy before taking the last leg into the finish.  It was a fairly accurate swim.  Swells were 1-2 feet, not too much, maybe 2-3 feet.  The start was on a little strip of sand with rocks hidden so stepping with care was necessary at the start.  The finish chute was probably cleared prior to the competition.

Please see LJRWS.com for complete official coverage and results.

Monday
We reviewed the videos with Coach Chad.  I suck.
Too many problems with all strokes and starts.
Freestyle
  Head movement
  Left thumb enters at catch,
   hand needs to enter fingers first
Butterfly
  Right foot flutters, probably nerve problem,
  Glaring misplaced catch on video.  do I do this all the time?
    Pull is not started until hands are under torso,
    Come on, I must start the catch  at the shoulders
    Pull scapulas(blades) towards spine
    Keep elbows straight
    Drag thumbs on surface
    Less undulation
    Lifting head way too high on video; when I swim, I do try to keep my chin on the surface
    Asymetrical arm movement,  due to old shoulders
Backstroke
   Good hand placement at catch phase, 10 and 2 position
   some head movement, due to inattention
Breaststroke
   Wall start, went directly too deep, with all associated issues
   Weak narrow kick, we know why now, groin strain, perhaps a strained obturator nerve sheath??
 
Front Start
   Lower Head
   Raise Hips

Back Start
   Use new head position; keep neck in neutral position at start

Swim 2K


Tuesday

0624

Late for warm up

20 minute swim for time??
1250, maybe

8x50 kick
4x50 kick ez

400  warm down



No comments: