Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Backing Down

I have lowered the intensity of the swim workouts and I am just going to concentrate on the prescribed physical therapy. I decided take this approach and determine if it makes a difference in my recovery, which is taking longer than I would have expected, although I am impatient and I always try to come back too soon.
I went in to p/t yesterday morning very cranky and sore. I had taken the preceding day off from swimming and I did not do any p/t either. I swam in the morning at Finley, and just about every stroke hurt. I swam 2000 and kicked 500, but there was no quality, except for the end, I did 2x50, 38 and 35. I was real sore, I did not take any NSAID either, and then I used the arm bike for 30 minutes. I went for a long, hot walk at the Stafford Lake disc golf course. I played the first three and the final 4 but it was too hot and I could not find the 4th tee. I was pooped, and I got a bit dehydrated. Whoops.
I recovered well enough and I stuck to the plan of backing down on the intensity of the swimming this morning. I only swam 1200 yards. I felt comfortable for about 1000 yards before the shoulder started barking. I went to p/t again this morning and felt better than yesterday. I am having some severe range of motion problems. There is still quite a bit of tightness and pain and there is now crepitus, or popping sensations. There seem to be looseness. I am concerned. I have been unable to do any butterfly.

No comments: