Monday, March 16, 2009

Stupid Fireman Tricks

I finally made it back to the water today. I encountered a rough spot along the way last Thursday. For some reason, we went to 2nd and B Street in San Rafael and changed the old Greenberg hydrant, I think it was a double, for a double steamer Clow. The street valve was very stubborn, and I hurt my right lattisimus while turning it off. For some reason, public works did not cut the concrete around this job, so the Captain broke it out with a sledge. It needed to be dug out, too, so we could unbolt one of the oldest hydrants in the city. The last bolt, of course, was upside down. We muscled all of them off, and then doubled up on installing the new hydrant, because we retrofitted the flange with a thimble. We needed to tighten and re tighten the bolts. My arms were sore later, and then the real pain set in, in the right subclavian area. It went south soon thereafter, conpensating for the lat strain. I wrote it up and went to Synergy on Friday. It was not good, 8 of 10, mainly upon movement. Very compensated swimming, I swam 1000 easy yards, and could not swim a stroke of butterfly. Kicked 500 and tried to swim a broken 200.
The Rinconada meet was Saturday. It was a cool, overcast day. I suited up for the 50 free, swam it poorly, and then scratched the rest of the meet.
I rested Sunday.
Today I woke up ready to go to PHS, but thought it wiser to swim at Finley. I was early! I swam with the Finley workout group, including Carol, Jessie, Mary, Dennis, Mark, and Paul. Paul teaches elementary school at Proctor Terrace Elementary, Jessie is a principal at another school, Carol sells real estate, and Mary is a nurse in Sebastapol. There are several others joining in the workout this morning. Warren Schenstrom sometimes swims with this group, but not today. I think that I have joined this group on occasion, but today I swam their complete workout.
Warm up until 0620 and that was about 750, I did not count laps
quick set, free on 45
quick set, IM 50 fly,100 breast 150back, 100free, 2x50IM. I did 25 1 arm fly and 15 breast,10 free
500 kick, w/fins on back
10x50 easy hard, on 60 easy @40, hard @33-4
500 warm down
about 3200 yards, easy, still too early for fly, but the workout went real good, the shoulder felt real good, the lat started getting irritated towards the end of 50s.

Just a note about the meet in Palo Alto on Saturday. These meets for the most part are conducted with the utmost respect for our sport. They are officiated and administrated professionally by dedicated volunteers. Occasionally when there is a rule infraction, they must rule in a consistent and fair manner. A rule infraction occurred and was dealt with on Saturday. The infraction may have seemed insignificant to the participant, but in fairness to everyone and to the integrity of the sport I believe it was dealt with in the proper way.

No comments: