Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunday Morning Edition

This is the Sunday morning edition. Technical swimsuits, SCAM meet, shoulder problem, preliminary results from Steiner Memorial, and updates on upcoming events will be blogged today.
Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters(SCAM) again hosted the Spring Break meet at Spieker Aquatic Center on the UC Berleley campus. There are many reminders of the great swimmers who have swm here. There is the wall of swimming Olympians who swam at Cal, each with a plaque. It needs to be updated with the swimmers who swam at Beijing 2008. The pool is good, but there is a serious problem with sighting the bulkhead. A swimmer swam directly into it yesterday, I heard that he needed medical attention. I heard that other swimmers had serious sighting problems. R. Meyerhoff injured his wrist, he was icing it during the day, E. V. Boer crashed his backstroke turn, I don't know how bad he was hurt, and I am fairly familiar with the bulkhead, and it is like a solid surface and it seems to be like 1/4 inch plate steel and the surface is slippery, and the water was a bit cloudy so it made the turn treacherous.
The meet was much more comfortable than the previous two at Rinconada and CC College. The weather was cool and overcast throughout the day, and it did drizzle a bit around noon, but the locker rooms were open, warm, carpeted, and the showers are hot, so we all could keep warm. The meet was well attended, and there were several swimmers from the Central Valley. I saw several swimmers that were sporting Central Valley All Stars swim caps. I saw Clovis, Fresno, and Modesto swimmers. I had a good day, considering the weather and my shoulder. I swam all 5 events that I entered, I swam well and did not miss turns. I did mistime a few at the bulkhead. Best swim was 100fly. See the results at www.pacificmasters.org/results.
I do not think it is necessary to count my yards from yesterday.

Today Warren led the workout and we did some more backstroke and IM work
6x100back pull on 1:40 I did this for my warmup, with some 1arm fly and finishing last 3 with 25fly.
2x(4x200, reverse IM order, first 100kick)
4x50free between
2600 yards

I did 6x100 free, alternate breathing, dps
Total32o0 yards

I have retired my first Fastskin. It has deteriorated, not only at the zipper, but in the front crotch area. With the new one suit rule, I could not wear a speedo brief under the Speedo original Fastskin. I am in anticipation of possibly buying a Blueseventy. I am waiting to see if the new TYR is available in time for the PMS meet in two weeks. I would also like to send Speedo an offer they may like. I am willing to wear their LZR Racer if they could be kind enough to let me wear one.

I think I have decided what events I would like to swim at Zones. I think I have a good idea for Nationals too. I think I am going to wait and enter later, closer to when the meet entries are due, in case I change my mind about events.

I am proud to see that the teams that i am closest to have won the Jon Steiner Memorial Postal 1650, put on by TAM. TAM won the large team division, SRM won the medium team, and PET, Petaluma Masters won the small team division, with 100%! Outstanding.

No comments: