Monday, March 15, 2010

Swim Update

Saturday was a real pretty day, and th eRinconada Spring Meet was in full swing. there were about 200 preregistered swimmers and it was a very pleasant day. There appeared to be many newer masters swimmers, and not only because of the two novice events.

The best part of the meet was welcoming my younger brother, Vincent, to masters swimming competition. He really enjoyed his first formal meet since early childhood. He swam really well and I believe he will continue enjoying masters swimming for some time.

I felt good for the whole meet. The sun was shining on us all day, although the breeze did pick up in the afternoon. I may have felt good, but I did not swim fast. I will be swimming the exact events at the meet in Berkeley in two weeks. I am now in the second phase of my experiment with changing my workout routine. I have forgone the dry land workouts for about two months, substituting swimming instead of going to the Y for weights, etc. I believe that my swimming effectiveness has been affected because of what I would consider sub par performances at the two previous meets, so I have gone back into the gym and will swim in the meet after including 6 dry land sessions into my routine..

Meet results:
50 Free :26.92
100 Back 1:17.41 PR
50 Fly :30.13
100 Free 1:02.67

1000free warm up
250 warm down
250 warm down
200 warm up

1900 yards

Sunday I did dry land at the Y before I swam. I did 1 complete circuit of nautilus at 60% with 12-15 reps, and 4 pull ups. I swam late, at noon, and was tired, and soreness was already setting in. It was like a swim down, I swam 100 free/100 stroke for 1500 yards and got out.

1500 yards

Monday I was at Finley and started swimming just after 0630. I felt a bit of soreness from the dryland work but it felt good to feel the muscles. I had a comfortable workout, and I already feel stronger!

1000 free
500 kick on back with fins
5x100 free on 1:30
5x100 back on 2 min
500 free stroke work, dps/spl, bi breathing
5x100 free/fly on 2 min

3500 yards

No comments: