Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Technical Racing Suits

I just received the email newsletter from United States Masters Swimming. They have set forth a ruling about the technical swimsuit issue. Effective immediately, the suits are no longer allowed in SCM and LCM events. The ruling takes effect on June 1, 2010 for SCY. I am reading that they will be tolerated for the rest of the United States short course yards season.

Why is USMS making the exception for the 2010 short course yards season? I can speculate that there is some money behind this decision. I reason this because of the situation that USMS got into with BlueSeventy, and also because of the elitist attitude of American Swimming, considering that short course yards is not recognized by FINA. I was just about to regain my faith in the swimming community but USMS seems to have gone astray for the moment.

Is USMS going outside the box on the swimsuit issue for the benefit of the majority of its members, or is this ruling an attempt to appease some of the elitist masters and one of the main sponsors of the organization?. Is it a wise move to have 2 uniform standards? Double standards send a mixed message and I think that we all should abide by the rules set forth by the overwhelming majority of the world swimming community.

No comments: